, the presentation can be displayed at 150 points, not 300, which will reduce the file size if you make a pdf. Try to limit up to 10 MB, there are nuances with email, limits, and so on that have to be taken into account.
In addition, there are many multimedia presentation formats that are slowly entering the top. Online, you can even show videos in parallel, especially if you have a broadcast director of some kind — here your fantasy is almost not limited to anything at all.
For offline (this is when you meet with the audience personally) — there are again standard 16×9 (this is a resolution, for example, 1920×1080), or ask the technical staff what size the screen is for the projector, so that there are no doubtful spaces left. If there is a projector, try to make the presentation contrasting, otherwise cheap models of devices will display something unconvincingly pale on the screen, unfortunately. Again, think about the audience: if we speak in front of students, this is one thing. And if we speak in front of the academicians of the Russian Academy of Sciences, this is something else. Printing
. Here the sizes can be same as the paper size. Remember that no one will follow your hyperlink of it is printed, and the procedure of monotonously interrupting its characters in the browser will cause the audience to commit seppuku, which we would like to avoid. QR codes — yes, please. They will point the phone at it, follow the link calmly and without nerves. We print files for 300 dots, negotiate with the printing house about the edged edges.
Why is it important to maintain university presentations in a single style solution? It is especially important to do this at large-scale events where you have several speakers from the university, each of whom demonstrates a large amount of information to the audience. For example, if you decide to hold a large forum, you should make visual communication with the audience as easy as possible.
So, the reasons for the introduction of a common style:
- Reduction of information noise. In short: a person on a subconscious level will be confused if the design of the hall is made in one color scheme, the presentation — in other, the distribution — in another. All this will definitely not contribute to the identification of your brand, recognition, only to confusion and defocusing of the audience's consciousness. And we need the opposite — focus on information, quick memorization of the brand, a pure sense of the speaker's emotions, atmosphere, a sense of involvement in something grandiose.
- Promoting the identity of the university — brand recognizeability, its modernity, uniqueness — all this gives you undeniable advantages.
- Concentration on content — a good color coding allows the applicant to evoke the necessary emotions and allow them to focus on the content part. When there is nothing superfluous, the important remains.
- Establishing communication is your dialogue with the audience. Visual images, text or speech installations, slogans that hit exactly the target. It is important.
- Structuring information. We need to be consistent in the narrative. The logic of the presentation allows the audience to perceive the information in a dosed manner, to assimilate it holistically and fully. This is pure physics — there is a signal source, and there is a receiver. And noise in the middle. The better you work on the presentation, the better the signal reaches from the source to the receiver.
- Compliance with logic. This is important!
I can say it from my own experience. By creating the online exhibition of Russian universities RED Expo, we tried to make it the most effective tool, including from the point of view of visual communication.
Briefly on the part of the visual: we have developed a logo based on the image of a square academic cap. This image is read instantly, which is important in the conditions of the Internet. We haven't talked about this yet, but to keep a person at the screen — where they came to watch the broadcast or just visited your site — you have 5-7 seconds. Then they either understand everything, stay and plunge into the information field, or reject the information, close the tab and go look for something more suitable for them.
Therefore, we chose the most intensive speed of communication with the applicant — even if there were associative first-level images, but they were clear, intelligible and fast to understand. The square academic cap is like this, it's clear right away — it's about education, there's no time to explain longer.
Since the covid time, when we deployed exhibitions against the background of the unclear situation in the world, was not distinguished by a positive dynamic attitude, but rather by the decadence of quite large segments of the population, we chose to be bright, persistent, life-affirming, claiming leadership. Thus we chose the color scheme and design. Despite the fact that calm tones are traditionally used, this is exactly what worked for the audience — people needed and still need affirmative and decisive answers to questions about what they should do in life, how to proceed. And this is the case when muted, uncertain tones would not be so effective.
All presentation materials for our participating universities are made in a single style, according to a universal structure, they provide simple, understandable communication and uniform presentation conditions for all participants. We completely leveled the factor of the difference in the competencies of university designers in the field, because the responsibility for visual communication and KPIs, for the number of leads and their quality lay not on someone, but on us directly. Therefore, we often argued with international experts when they persistently did not want to fit into our proposals for a single style of broadcasts. Often persuaded them. Although, sometimes we were not successful.
The story is exactly the same with the landing pages, with one exception — they are calmer in color scheme, because there is no speaker here, the user is left to themselves and the stand. Study as much as you want already on the basis of our emotional and vivid presentations. Read more texts, get more information, be aware, make a decision, send an application. And at the same time, everything is done in a single style, of course.
Now you can see how the landing page and the presentation visually work together. Let me repeat, design is a technical science, in a general style solution it serves as a navigator at the subconscious level, color coding during a long broadcast subconsciously «tells» the audience where the necessary elements and sections are located, causes the emotions we need — allows the audience to concentrate on the content in the data stream.
The universal structure of the presentation on the example of the RED Expo exhibition. We have divided all the information into sections about each of the universities.
Remember that the broadcast is a couple of hours at least. This is quite a large amount of information. In order for a student to develop an objective judgment, it was necessary to adjust the continuous flow of information to some general standards so that everyone could understand — so, this university has these and those programs, this university has a better dormitory, and here student life is cool. And the next one will say, "I just want to live in Moscow or in St. Petersburg, or in Sochi, or in the Far East, because the region is remarkably beautiful". Thus, we left them the space to make decisions based on the pure content of the university, not on the basis of design or any individual decorations, which is very important.
- The title page is a slide with a photo of the main building. This is the image of the university, its face, the first thing that impresses.
- A brief description.
- Place on the map of Russia. It is important to show exactly where people will live, and where the capital is located. In the course of working with the audience, this factor was one of the most frequently clarified by the public.
- Facts and figures, photos of buildings. The numbers illustrate the scale well. Here, by the way, decision-making is not always unambiguous. Someone wants to go to a big university. Someone — to a small one, where every foreigner is given more attention. But you need to show the scale.
- The list of programs with visual communication — who you can become, how much it costs, you should immediately submit a beautiful picture. This strengthens their confidence in their choice. It attracts, it answers the question of "what I want to become".
- About specifics: yes, you see, there should be data about the level, cost, duration of education. Basic set, nothing extra.
- Additional sections, if there is a chance to illustrate them well: sports, new buildings, special projects, student life
- City. We talk about our country, Russia, we love the country, we call here because it is better here than anywhere else.
- Contacts, QR codes and anything. No problems in direct communication.
Summing up, I will say, how cool it would be if you and I were rock'n'roll speakers. Why? Because it seems cool to young people. It's wonderful when you see the burning eyes of someone who is talking to you. And I sincerely envy people who know how to keep the audience in suspense where they are actually given material of a nonentertaining nature. Top Tips:
- Speak to the point, but as simply as possible. Remember, we have already read with you about the fact that life is difficult, and our task is to simplify it, give answers, and not ask new questions.
- Your emotions are important and needed. Be friendly and open.
- State it consistently.
- Radiate confidence, such that your listeners would want to become you immediately now.
- Be attractive. You are fine, of course, by default.
- Be ready to enter into a dialogue.